What should you do to find the best hip surgeon? There are many aspects to consider when choosing an orthopedic surgeon. You must be aware of his qualification and experience and choose one that is right for you. A Hip Surgeon Adelaide specialising in hip replacements is much more likely to perform a hip replacement with good results than one that deals with a wide variety of medical conditions. The following tips in choosing an orthopedic surgeon will help you make the best choice for your hip replacement.
* The first thing you want to look at is the doctor’s credentials. Board certification, specialised training or experience and a spotless reputation are the three main requirements to qualify as an expert hip surgeon. If you visit more than one surgeon, you can get a feel for their personalities. If a friend recommends a particular specialist, you can ask him what the surgeon’s background is and if he can provide you with references from past patients.
* Find out what types of surgeries the doctor specialises in. You might want to choose a surgeon who performs hip replacements only, but also one who performs plastic surgery. Plastic surgery is one of the fastest-growing specialties in orthopaedics, and many patients experience quick recovery and relief from hip pain. Orthopedic surgeons who are also plastic surgeons have the skills to deal with a wide range of orthopedic issues, and they can incorporate a patient’s needs into the treatment plan. This is very important if your loved one suffered a devastating accident and needs to have surgery right away. If you visit more than one surgeon, you can learn a lot about each kind of surgery and the kinds of patients they treat.
* Be sure that the surgeon has experience doing the type of total hip replacement surgery you’re interested in. You want someone who will understand your situation and tailor a treatment plan just for you. Ask your friends or family members what their surgeons recommend. If there are a handful of recommendations from your circle of friends or family members, find out how long they’ve been going to the same hip surgeon and what they think about the surgeon’s professionalism and skills.
These tips will help you narrow down the field to one or two surgeons you feel comfortable working with. Do some research and make a list of questions that you want to ask your prospective hip surgeon. Write down questions you want to ask, and look up references from past patients who could help you decide who to work with. You can also ask your doctor for referrals if you can’t find any information on past patients. There are many consumer guides available to help you with research, too, so use these resources to help you get started.
* It’s important to remember that any time you’re being considered for hip replacement surgery, you need to be evaluated by more than one surgeon. Since the procedure is so complicated, it’s best to get at least two opinions to ensure you’re a good candidate. In addition, the more specialists a hip surgeon has worked with him, the better chance there would be that he could complete the job. For instance, an experienced ENT specialist wouldn’t know enough about hip care for an outpatient procedure to suggest you to a board-certified anesthesiologist as a good candidate. As long as a potential Hip Surgeon Adelaide has performed jobs with patients who needed outpatient and inpatient hip care, he should be considered a good candidate.
* It’s common for hip fractures to happen early on in your treatment plan. Make sure you know when this happens and which doctor is handling your case. Your primary physician may refer you to a specialist for further evaluation and treatment. If you go to a different doctor, find out what their philosophy about arthritic change is. A good arthritic specialist will treat patients with a variety of diseases and conditions, so you’ll want someone who knows how to treat your specific case as well.